Wednesday 29 February 2012

R&R

Life is very benevolent in the respect that it gives you little hints and pointers throughout your existence.  As you will know, if you read my blog yesterday I went out last night for a spot of dinner and a couple of beers.  I did indeed have "a couple of beers" but someone decided it would be a good idea to have a raki as well.  

My remonstrations after the meal to go home were most strenuously ignored and I was forced to have a "final final" beer in a bar in Oxford Circus.

How kind then, of my body the next day to let me know that its tolerance for alcoholic beverages is not quite as steadfast as it once was?  I am wandering through a haze of lethargy and malaise today.

I checked my phone camera this morning and it appears that at 10.30pm last night I thought it would be a good idea to snap a pic or two of my empty plate.  Today, though the concept of posting a picture of the remnants of a chicken kebab doesn't seem so appealing.  


Tonight is going to be a simple supper.  I am going to fry some chunks of potato until they are golden and crispy and simply serve them with a dressed salad and some jamon iberico.


Salad dressing, or vinaigrettes are so elementary and simple to make, but seriously I have been amazed by how infrequently my salad is dressed - pubs are a serial offender of this heinous crime.


I very rarely mess with my salad dressings.  Infrequently I will add some honey or perhaps a squirt of lime juice.  Here's the dressing I always use:


  •   For a salad for 2 people I get a decent extra virgin olive oil and add a  few decent slugs into a glass receptacle.  I never measure it out.
  •   To this I add a decent white wine or cider vinegar.  Again I just add a good slug into the olive oil.  The unwritten rule for a vinaigrette is to use a 3:1 oil to vinegar ratio but I actually like my dressings a bit punchier and usually I augment my vinegar to a 3:2 ratio.  I never was good at maths.
  •   SEASON YOUR DRESSING.  Yes a salad dressing needs salt and pepper.
  •   I then get a fork and some mustard powder.  I stick the fork in the mustard powder and try to get a nice heap.  I then whisk this into the dressing.
  •   Always taste your dressing - dip a salad leaf in and test.  Change and correct your dressing to suit your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment