Saturday 3 March 2012

"Everything tastes like chicken"

Imagine a scenario - post-nuclear Armageddon, where we are forced to eat things like rats and lizards, cats and sparrows.  I'm almost certain the general response will be "it tastes a bit like chicken".  All edible goods faintly discernible as being meat invariably taste like chicken.  I've eaten crocodile before and guess what - it tasted like chicken.  Same thing with frogs legs.

Anyway, back on theme, I just wanted to let you know how last nights rabbit went.  First off, here's a picture:

 I was a little worried how this would turn out since I had never cooked rabbit before.  An interested reader asked me why I should cook it for so long, and honestly the only response I had was that I had seen a recipe online for braising it.


I can testify that cooking it like this was an excellent idea.  I used perry instead of cider because my intuition said that the tart sweetness of perry would work really well - and it did.  The rabbit was moist, delicate and a little bit sweet (which I'm sure was in part due to the use of the perry).  But guess what?  It tasted quite like chicken!  Even the texture and colour reminded me of our favourite bird.  The one thing I would say is that chicken breast (for that is what this resembled) would never have stood up to the 2 hours of gentle braising.  


I'm off to football today, so I'm not sure I will update later.  Just so you know, this evening I'm going to make potato and celeriac cakes, topped with a piece of smoked pancetta, and then with gruyere (which will melt over the whole thing).  Great "sitting in on Saturday night" food.

No comments:

Post a Comment