Tuesday 27 March 2012

Taking stock of the situation.

I am mulling some idea's around my head as to what I should do with the chicken stock I created from our roasted bird on Sunday.  I think I made about 750ml of quite concentrated chicken stock, with a thick, gelatinous jelly content - this always heralds a good tasting bouillon.

For those of you that discard their chicken carcasses after they have delicately picked all the remaining flesh off, I entreat you to think about utilizing it in future.  It's such a waste to throw away something that can, effectively provide you with a free, second meal.  

Bouillon de poulet a la Noz

Now, I do make a nice stock, but as you can see in the above picture it is a little hazy.  This is probably because I managed to boil the liquid.  Here's how I make my stock:

  •   Put the carcass of the chicken into a deep stove-top pan.  
  •   Add a bay leaf, 6 or 7 peppercorns 2 unpeeled garlic cloves and and a sprig or two of thyme.
  •   Roughly chop one small onion and one small carrot.  Add to the pan.
  •   Fill with enough water to cover everything.
  •   Bring to a very slow simmer, adjust the heat to very low and allow it to slowly bubble (not boil!) for 2 or so hours - longer if you have the patience.
  
Generally I do a handful of favourites with chicken stock.  I do a great Iranian chicken-ball, cardamom and lime soup (from the Moro book) or a standard chicken or vegetable soup.  Sometimes, if I am feeling adventurous I try something a bit more outlandish like a garlic soup, or a Greek fasolatha.  A risotto always goes down favourably in our household - and this is probably what I will use this stock for.  However, I am out tonight, watching Crystal Palace play Doncaster Rovers, so no cooking for me this evening. 


I will give you my lowdown on how to cook a decent risotto tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment